Friday, November 6, 2009

Make it a Game

I'm behind on sock matching. Sound Familiar? Right now my unmatched sock container is a huge rubbermaid bucket, you know, one you would store your children's outgrown clothes in. Yes, that's how many unmatched socks we have right now. Of course, today, my 3 year old son decided to dump the socks all over my bedroom floor. Here's the moment of truth. Do I:
1. Get upset and tell him to clean them up (which most likely will not get accomplished)
2. Get upset when he doesn't clean them up and do it myself.
3. Make it a game and see what happens.

This is what we did...

First of all, he loves basketball (yes, he has three older brothers). I told him, "Let's shoot them into the bucket and see how many points we can make". He immediately got into it. He grabbed handfulls of socks and threw them into the "hoop". With every shot we'd say "two points" or "three points". We even got into some slam-dunking.

It took three minutes to clean up. He had fun doing it but it instilled in him the concept of "if you make a mess, you clean it up." I had fun as well, and  I didn't lose my cool.
Hey, I didn't realize I was so good at "basketball"!

More to come, but until then...Stick-to-it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...