Monday, September 10, 2012

We do Loud REALLY Well

Should I be proud that our family is loud?
Or wish for words that are soft, like a cloud?
Either way, I most surely am wowed
That I've been blessed with our ten-of-a-crowd.

Sometimes I feel like our family is misunderstood. We have some unique characteristics that probably raise some eyebrows, especially how LOUD we are. I was talking to my mom last night about it, perplexed that some families are so quiet. That is definitely NOT the Bushman Bunch. I can almost bet we're the loudest family on the block and our neighbors will testify of that. No matter how many times I encourage my children to lower the volume, speak with an "inside voice" (actually, I don't think my children know the difference between an inside and outside voice), talk in a whisper, decrease the decibels - however you want to say it - THEY DON'T GET IT!! 

So, it's always comforting when I discover something that validates this concern. Friday, Sam and I went to a benefit dinner and silent auction for a friend who needs a kidney transplant. (www.kidney4colson.com)

I found the following plaque that describes us perfectly, and I couldn't resist getting it!


In Our Home

We do second chances
We say Prayers
We do I'm sorry's
We play hard
We do loud REALLY well (caps added by me)
We give hugs
We do love

We are Family

Looking at this photo as I write this blog post, the question of the day is, "Does this just encourage loudness?" Maybe. When my kids read this plaque on our living room table, does it give them license to sing at the top of their lungs or laugh and laugh with gusto? Probably. But after 20 years of battling, I don't think a little sign can make life in our household any louder. So, do I just accept it and give up or continue to encourage? Of course, the latter. 

We try to have a quiet time for our young children every day and for all the children on Sunday. Quiet time consists of being by yourself if you can't be quiet with someone else. Quiet activities include napping, writing, coloring, reading, playing a quiet game, or crafting. It's a time for Mom to have some sanity and for the children to practice self-entertainment and quiet activities that hopefully result in some needed inspiration and revelation in their lives. Thus, no video games, computer time, or movies. Soft, uplifting music in your room is totally acceptable.

To fight the "we do loud really well", maybe the Quiet Time period should be gradually extended until it lasts all day. Now, that's a thought!

Or maybe I should just accept that our family does loud really well. If anything, it's just strengthening our self-esteem!

More to Come...but until then, Stick-to-it!

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...