Friday, April 5, 2013

Positive Attitude with Six Canines and a Flat Bed

 Romantic sleigh ride? No.
Memorable winter adventure? Yes.
 
I was recently chatting with my married daughter about church. She told me that her friend's sister is in her new ward (congregation) which makes her happy so she won't be bored in Relief Society (the women's meeting). I gave her some of my profound (?) advice:

"Whatever situation we're in will be what we make it to be. Housework can be extremely annoying or we can make it enjoyable with a change of attitude. Going to church can be arduous and boring or spiritually uplifting. Folding laundry can be tedious and monotonous or we can enjoy ourselves by playing music or talking with eachother. Employment can be grueling and status-quo, or a blessing because we have the money to support our family. Our attitude determines the outcome."

I used my own advice in February when Sam and I went away for the weekend to Ogden Canyon. This was our 2012 Christmas present...very enjoyable and long overdue. After all, it had already been 6 months since the Alaskan Cruise

As part of our trip, Sam surprised me with a winter sleigh ride in Liberty, Utah. I was imagining a romantic, cute little sleigh with warm blankets, hot cocoa, and a little old man driver. The driver part was correct, but the other details did not match up. Instead of a rustic, antique sleigh (like something you'd see in a historical romance movie), we were presented with a large, cumbersome flat bed trailer; something you'd use for a hay ride. 




As soon as we climbed aboard, six huge dogs jumped up, surrounding us with their panting, slobbering selves. They didn't just sit on the end of the flat bed. No, they got right up on the hay bales with us, warming us up (literally) with their dirty bodies. 





At first I was not happy. 



You're kidding me, right? The driver didn't bother to ask us if we wanted his furry friends to accompany us. I guess they're just part of the gig. I remember thinking, "OK, I can let this really bother me and ruin our sleigh ride, or just go with it and enjoy myself." I chose the latter.

We enjoyed the picturesque mountains covered in snow.


 We watched our little old man driver feed his elk. There he is...see him?




We went up and down snow covered trails. The sunshine kept us warm and the fresh air was glorious. 



Our new canine friends were not so bothersome as time went on. It was actually kind of ironic that we'd have a sleigh full of "extras"....kind of felt like home, although our children are a lot louder than the dogs, but definitely more fun! They even get right in between us, just like our little people at home. :) (Note snout in below photo)



We held hands and linked arms...


...and enjoyed being together -  Dogs and all.


Yes, I find myself regularly needing to take my own advice. In this case, I'm glad I did. What was supposed to be a romantic winter sleigh ride turned out to be the most random and funny winter adventure that we continue to laugh about. Sometimes those unique experiences are more memorable than they would have been under "normal" parameters. Liberty, Utah, little old man, six friendly canines, two European horses, and a flat bed hay trailer provided a day we'll always remember...All because we chose to make it that way.

More to Come...but until then, Stick-to-it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...