Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The "mean Mom"

I'm a mean Mom. I am, and I'm happy and proud to admit it. Hopefully, you understand what I'm saying...I love my children, I'm kind to them, I read them stories, I sneak them treats, I take care of all their needs, I do special things for them, I listen to their news and tales, I pray for them, I teach them and train them. But, sometimes you just have to be "the mean Mom" to teach a lesson, show the importance of obeying the rules, to set standards and expectations; all this to raise "stick-to-it" kids. I believe in holding my children accountable for their choices, for there are consequences for disobeying or disrespecting. You're not home on time? I'm tracking you down. You have a C- in Math? You're staying home this weekend to finish your math lessons. You want to play a video game? No, too much media today. You didn't clean your room? Sorry, you'll have to play with your friend another day.

My children don't say I'm mean anymore. Years ago, if they did happen to say "You're so mean", I'd say, "You're right...don't forget it!" Since they know it doesn't phase me, it is not in their vocabulary. Hopefully, one day they'll understand that it's not mean, but love. I hope they'll become a "mean Mom" or "mean Dad" to their children, too.

A few weeks back, my children wanted to play with their cousins. I told them if they worked hard on their chores that morning, we'd see if they could come over. My two middle boys goofed off all morning long. After repeated reminders, they still did not take care of their responsibilities. So, I called off the play time with their cousins. They balked and complained - they even said they would do the work. However, I had to "stick-to-it" and be the "mean Mom". Thankfully, they've been a lot better about doing their jobs because of the consequence inflicted from not doing them before.

Look for ways to truly train, teach and LOVE - by being the "mean Mom".

More to come...but until then, Stick-to-it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...