Friday, February 4, 2011

Media Fast - Day 3

Observations for Day 3:

1. Creativity and Research - My daughter wanted to know what a crow and nightingale look like (they were referenced in a story she was reading). We printed out a picture of each and she drew them in her sketchbook.

2. My little guy was sick with a fever last night and went to sleep at 7 PM. My 12 year old son said, "Doesn't it feel lonely without him here?" I said, "Why don't you go check on him?" He quickly replied, "I already did...I was hoping he'd wake up and play with me." Thoughtfulness!


3. This one doesn't like reading very much. Wow - glad to see it happening...and such a big book, too!


4. Fun, pretend, play time. I love these super heroes!





5. Playing games in the evening together...patience for the little ones, too.





6. Superman doesn't usually play with toys very much. He got out the blocks and made a telescope.



7. By accident, I cheated. My brother posted a video on our www.MyFamily.com site and I clicked on it without thinking. I saw a bit of "The Dance of Joy" and then closed it. It takes practice and vigilance to train yourself to "shut down" or "power off". 


8. Progress on school work! My daughter accomplished more last night than she has in quite a while!


9. A cleaner house! Everyone has more time to finish their chores!!


Tips for success:
- Unplug the equipment. We don't have TV - just the ability to watch movies. We unplugged the TV AND disconnected the Roku and DVD player from it so the little people cannot turn anything on themselves. They haven't even asked to watch a movie in the last three days.
- Come up with an alternative. My daughter enjoys listening to CD's in her boom box. We found her some church/religious CD's that she can play instead and she's been plenty happy with them.
- Think about the things you want your children to spend time doing, but never seem to get there. Encourage working on some of those projects. 


More to Come...but until then, Stick-to-it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...