Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Why am I doing this?

Why? 
The age-old question. 
Why can't I have my own phone?
Why can't I drink a Dr. Pepper?
Why do I have to go to bed?
Why do I have to answer why all the time?
Why am I writing this blog???

I've been a little anti lately. The desire to write has not been there, and it feels as if there's not much to share or record. In fact, it's as if I've just been holding on, going through the motions...going from this activity to that chaos to that meltdown to that moment of joy. Most mornings I do try to sit down to write something, but doubtful thoughts creep in...Is this really important? Haven't I written about this before? Is this appropriate to discuss? I don't have any pictures to go along. This is interesting to me but will it be to someone else? I can't think of a way to begin. Why am I doing this? And so on...

As I was tidying the living room this evening, the basket of books I keep by the couch was a giant blob of unorganized reading material mixed with crumpled paper, broken crayons, dirty socks, random toys, and puzzle pieces. I decided to tackle it right then. It only took a few minutes to sort through it and create a nice basket of books with good stories to read to the children and beautiful picture books to look through. I decided to put my blog books in the basket. 

Background: A few months ago, I printed this blog to hard-backed books using the print service www.blog2print.com. The first book is for 2009-2010 because I didn't write that often. The second volume is for the year 2011. 2012 is going to be big! I may need to split it into two volumes. 

Why create these blog books if they are not in a place to be read? Before placing them in the basket, I opened one of them, perusing some of the past entries. A few of my children saw me sitting; they gathered 'round to see what I was doing. They were hooked! They spent the next 30+ minutes looking through the books - laughing, reading, remembering. Seeing this sight was an eye-opener for me. This blog - my words to them - really is important, and meaningful, and enjoyable to THEM. After all, I'm writing this for my children. I witnessed in this beautiful moment the impact that my time and efforts are having...NOW. Hopefully as they have their own children in the future, it will be even greater.

Quickly grabbing the camera, I recorded some precious moments...



 















So buckle up and enjoy the ride. Why, it's not going to end any time soon. 

More to Come...but until then, Stick-to-it!

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog. Full of wisdom and insightful. Plus its a great way for me to feel connected with your fam from afar. Keep it up!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...