Saturday, October 6, 2012

Write-Downable of the Week: Stick-out Ears

Grateful for Write-Downables!

Write-Downable (n) 
"A statement that is cute, funny, priceless, sensitive, loving, one-of-a-kind, sweet, or spiritual; a word, phrase, sentence, or story that touches the heart of another and is deemed worthy to write down, thus recorded forever and not forgotten."
Word Created By: The Bushman Family
Definition By: Julie Bushman

Write-Downable of the Week:
 
"Did you know snakes have holes in their heads to hear? They don't have stick-out ears." (8)
 
Love the JOY this sweet girl brings to our family!!
We have "stick-out ears", but I'm afraid they don't quite stick out enough. Ever heard the phrase, "You have two ears and one mouth...use them proportionally!" Listening to our children should be the order of the day, not lecturing, telling, commanding, criticizing, or convincing. 
 
Sometimes, I find myself half-listening when my children talk to me. Yes, I'm "hearing" them talk, but I'm not internalizing the message because my thoughts are elsewhere. I know I'm missing out on hidden messages that could let me in to their life and heart. So, I'm trying to do better. When one of my children is talking to me, my goal is to clear my mind of all other thoughts, look at her and really listen to the message.This is one way to be a better stick-to-it Mom!
 
Let's use those stick-out ears to not only hear, but really listen. Frankly, I'm grateful for stick-out ears, 'cause I really wouldn't want to look like a snake!

More to Come....but until then, Stick-to-it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...