Thursday, January 13, 2011

It's that Time Again - Part 1

January always brings thoughts of tax season, wrapping up the last year's paperwork, getting the accounting software up to date, shredding the paperwork for the seventh year (2003 in this case) and getting all in order for a new year to begin. Being caught up in this yearly project always presents a dilemma - how do you get it done with the children at your feet? It's always more complicated for our family because we have several businesses that we run. Paperwork seems to cover the house for the month of January. Through the years, I've learned to involve my children in helping with this process. 

Children are GREAT envelope openers...
At the end of the year, I have stacks of unopened envelopes...paperwork that you need to keep but don't necessarily need day to day. I turn those envelopes over to my kids. It gives them a project, they feel like they're helping and contributing and it keeps them busy so I can be busy, too.


Look out for important things that may end up in the trash can...
 ...or that accidentally get ripped.

 Good thing for tape!
So, this is part of our "paper all over the place" disaster
This job happily entertained for an hour. Yes, there were a few incidents but they were worth it 'cause I got a lot accomplished without children scattering receipts or whining at my feet. One thing that was interesting - my four year old son took ownership of his job, neatly sorting his papers into a stack. He didn't want ANYONE to touch it or mess it up. Did this give him a little glimpse into what Mom goes through and may he think twice about getting into Mom's paperwork? I think it did! 

I have a lot to share - more financial organization tips and involving/teaching your children about it at the same time.

More to Come...but until then, Stick-to-it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...