Thursday, January 6, 2011

Lessons from the Most Wonderful Time of the Year - Part 1

I guess I took three weeks off of writing which really was unintentional. I got caught up in the magic of Christmas and all of its delightful chaos. Now that things have calmed down a bit and the wreckage from the Christmas tornado (as my friend put it) has been dealt with, I can look back at the lessons learned from the most wonderful time of the year!

1. Let them touch...
We put out the Christmas decorations for all to look at and enjoy. However, children "enjoy" by doing more than looking...they want to feel, touch, hug, play with and then do it all over again. I caught my sweetie pie playing with the glass nativities one day. It was so tender watching her talk to the Baby Jesus, arranging the sheep, holding and inspecting the mini Mary and Joseph, and loving every minute of it. Was it worth a bit of breakage and disorganization of the pieces for this wonderful moment? Yes, it was - for both of us.

 

You know the old bogus adage, "Children are meant to be seen and not heard?" You could say that, "The Christmas decorations are meant to be touched and not just looked at." That goes for the Christmas tree ornaments, the advent calendar ornaments, the snowmen display, the Christmas books and dare I say, the Santa Claus dolls? Which brings me to lesson #2...

2. Oh, the value of time...
We received several beautiful handmade gifts this year (and many other years as well). It always reaffirms in my mind how precious time is. When someone chooses to spend their time for your benefit, it truly is a great act of love. My sister reminded me of this very fact last night. She was putting away her Christmas decorations and said, "Everything I have was made by you or Mom." As I think of my decorations, most things were made by my mother or Sam's mother. What special treasures!!
Stuffed nativities made by my Mother-in-law for my four girls. Love them!!
"Memories of Christmases Past" - Made by my Mother. She made one for each of her six children.
These are the Santa Claus dolls!!! Christmas, 2009
3. Experiences with family and friends bond and unify...
Nothing can replace experience. Whether it be on the job experience, learning experiences in school, or hands-on experience, these times are priceless! I love the opportunities my children have to enjoy meaningful and valuable events with those they care about. Isn't Christmas about sharing and loving and strengthening and serving?






I'll share more lessons soon...

More to Come...but until then, Stick-to-it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...