Monday, January 10, 2011

Lessons from the Most Wonderful Time of the Year - Part 3

I LOVE the Christmas season. I cherish the traditions and the memories that are made. When I see the excitement on my children's faces for Christmas stories, decorating the tree, eating treats, delivering gifts, going to Grandma's house, wrapping, more eating, or sitting in a dark room with just the Christmas lights on, it brings me back to my own childhood and the amazing joy I still remember feeling. That brings me to my next lesson...

6. The Ultimate Tradition - Simple Fun
Our Christmas Eve tradition is our longest running tradition - going back 35+ years when I was just a little girl. We have a delicious dinner and then act out the nativity story, dressing up and singing songs throughout the event. This is such simple fun but it really brings out the spirit of Christmas and why we celebrate it. The simpleness of the event reminds me of the simple surroundings that Jesus Christ was born into - also, how simple his teachings are so that we can embrace them and follow them. Here's a glimpse of our Simple Fun:

This is tradition - the sister's picture




Loving our Baby Jesus #2 (also the cow)
Our yearly angels (they really are angels year round, too)
Wise Women!
Undressing the cow - so typical!
Our narrator (and brother) with his shepherdess? - sounds kind of sketchy
Not sure what you are...
Thinking Mom's pretty goofy...
Something was entertaining...

Adoring Baby Jesus #1
Someone is always anti so they are made the videographer...
7. It doesn't need to be BIG or cost a LOT to LOVE it
My oldest daughter's favorite gift was a turtle ring. It was a whopping $4.00 on clearance. She LOVES turtles so I knew she would love this. I was right! She told me it was her favorite gift. Wow - a simple ring brings so much joy - who would have thought? She wore it to school and everyone there coveted it, too.
Christmas Morning - The Turtle Ring!
8. Playing the innkeeper is serious business!
"There's no room in mine inn. Here is a 'dable you can 'tay in for da night." He was very proud of his role as innkeeper - providing a place for the Baby Jesus to be born.


He really took his role as innkeeper seriously! Four year olds are great memorizers, too!
9. You're never too old (or young) to sit on Santa's lap!

I love it when my big kids don't think they're too cool to visit Santa!


I love it when my little kids don't cry when they visit Santa!

10. Keep doing what you're doing
My husband likes to give this advice to people when they're on the right track - getting married, graduation, missions, etc. I guess I'll take his advice and keep doing what I'm doing. Why do I bring this up? This year, I asked each member of the family (including myself) seven questions. Their answers were the subject matter for our 2010 Christmas letter. One of the questions was, "What is your favorite Christmas tradition?" At least six people said, "Reading Christmas stories every night in December." Wow - I never realized how much this tradition meant to the family. Every night of December, before bedtime, we read a Christmas story & sing a Christmas song, along with our scriptures and prayer. We laugh and cry and rejoice in the sweet messages of the season. I have collected Christmas books and stories since we were married. We now have two large baskets full. This is one of our favorite books...
"Cracked Wheat for Christmas"
So, we'll keep doing what we're doing! Find what is meaningful to your family and keep doing what you're doing...or in other words, Stick-to-it!

More to Come...but until then, Stick-to-it!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, the whole world may read your blog, but only a few curmudgeons like your mean, old Uncle Glen deign to make a comment. All I have to say about you, Julie, and about your entire wonderful family is WOW! We LOVE and admire you LOTS.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...