Friday, January 20, 2012

"Pearles" of Wisdom - Part 1

pearl (noun) something precious or choice; the finest example of anything: pearls of wisdom. (www.dictionary.com)

 My husband's grandmother was named Mildred Pearle, but she was known as Pearle. 

Sam and Grandma Slaugh - 100th Birthday Celebration, 2002

Born in 1902, she saw much and learned a lot. Living to be 101 years old, she left a legacy of faith and strength to her posterity. That legacy included "Pearles" of Wisdom - quotes and sayings to abide and live by. For her 100th birthday in 2002, a family member compiled 100 "Pearles" of Wisdom, a little booklet for her posterity to remember her by. As I was looking through paper work the other day, I ran across this memento. In reading through it, I was touched by her wisdom and her depth. She had a keen ability to see a greater perspective and encouraged all around her to live by truth. I felt impressed to share these "Pearles" in a series of posts. May you and my posterity benefit from these treasures. May they help us all Stick-to-it!

My five oldest children in 2002 for Grandma's 100th birthday.

1. Don't count the days - make the days count.
I love this! What a great reminder to make each day matter. In working on my fitness goals, this really pertains. Don't waste time counting how many days I've been to the gym; rather, get there and make it count. Don't wish your children to be out of a certain stage; rather, enjoy every minute of it.

2. Rules don't lock you in - they lock Satan out.
This is a fabulous way to explain to your children that rules and commandments don't chain us down, but they protect us from evil.

3. Attend your meetings - Don't wait for six strong men to carry you to church.
Maybe I'm slow, but I didn't get this one so I had to call my mother-in-law to ask her. When would six strong men carry you to church? When you've passed on and they're carrying you to church in your casket for your funeral.

4. Life is a grindstone. Whether it grinds you down or polishes you up depends on what you are made of.
It depends on your choices and your attitude, too. What will you make out of your life?

5. The difference between a steppingstone and a stumbling block is in the way we use them.
Will we let it the stone enable us or the block stop us?


6. None of us is entirely useless. Even the worst of us can serve as horrible examples.
This just makes me laugh! I'm sure we've all been one of these horrible examples at one time or another.

7. Opportunities are often missed because we are broadcasting when we should have been tuned in.
As my husband says often, you have two ears and one mouth. Use them accordingly. Listening - a virtue that is golden.


8. Pray as though everything depended on the Lord, and then work as though everything depended on you.
Amen!


9. What on earth are you doing for Heaven's sake?
Read this one carefully. If you just read it quickly, it sounds like something one would say when they're perpelxed by somebody's actions. However, look at it again. What are you doing on Earth for Heaven's sake? What am I spending my time on? Where is my allegiance? How am I furthering God's purposes?

10. Give God what is right, not what is left.
Definitely a pearl!

My favorites? I love them all but I especially like #4 and #5. They compliment each other. Yes, life is a grindstone but are you going to let it grind you down or polish you up? Are you going to allow the stepping stone to carry you forward or will the stumbling block stop your progress. I also like #9. It is a thought-provoking question, hidden in day to day language. When you change your perspective, you can see a new view. So many times our earthly view is clouded by worldly distractions, but when we look at life differently, Heavenly things tend to matter much more.

Grandma Pearle, you are truly a gem! How we miss you! More "Pearles" to follow...

More to Come...but until then, Stick-to-it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...