Friday, June 22, 2012

Follow the Obvious and Swing Higher!

Five Little Monkeys were swinging in a tree...
Teasing Mr. Alligator, "Can't catch me, no, you can't catch me!"
Along comes Mr. Alligator, quiet as can be...
Snap that monkey right out of that tree!

This has to be one of the best ditties ever created! In a way, you could say it's kind of morbid but those stupid monkeys (whoops, I said the S-word) just didn't get the obvious, according to my sweetie-pie 3...

We were in the car yesterday (just the 2 of us), and she was crying because we dropped off her sister and brother and cousin. No, she wasn't crying for her brother or sister, but rather, her cousin. (I hope that makes you feel special, MRH) The tears continued for longer than I could stand, so I whipped out the best trick in the book...the Monkey and Alligator song. No child can resist it. They are captivated by the actions, and the creepiness of the alligator coming, and then the pause.......... before he SNAPS.

She immediately stopped crying and wanted me to do it again and again. 

At the end of the song, I said, "No more monkeys swinging in the tree." 
"Why?", she asked.
I answered: "'Cause the Alligator ate them all."
Without missing a beat, she concluded, "They should have swinged higher."

I laughed and laughed. I was stunned by how quickly she deduced the monkey's folly. Their demise could have been avoided if they just "swinged higher". I told her she was so wise and those monkeys were not very smart. She nodded her head and smiled and was so happy with herself. Our children seem to like it when we laugh at them when they're funny or cute.

I've been thinking about this experience. To a three year old, it was so OBVIOUS why the monkeys were being eaten by the alligator. OK, so I can see maybe one of the monkeys becoming an alligator lunch. But all four? Those last four monkeys should have learned from the first and got a clue to run (or swing) for higher ground (or trees). But, they didn't...and they were toast. 

How does this apply to parenting? Sometimes the obvious is right in front of us, but we don't see it. A simple solution to a problem, a more loving way to discipline, an answer to prayer, a direction to follow, a change that needs to be made is right there but we're distracted or unwilling because of "the same ol' way we've always done it." I feel like I get in the parenting rut and I stick with the same approach or method. Or, due to laziness or fatigue or mood swings or just plain grumpiness, I'm unwilling to move or change to create a better circumstance for all involved. However, if I was willing to "swing a little higher", to change my game plan (avoid getting eaten by the alligator), the result would be better for all involved...more love, kindness, patience, faith and less contention, arguing, frustration, and negativity.

I also thought about looking at the monkeys as our children. We all know the first child is the guinea pig. Poor thing! The parenting alligator's got that one for sure. Hopefully, by the next one and the next one, we'll learn and change and develop, so our parental mistakes will diminish and we'll become wise and gentle.

You could look at the Alligator as the adversary. He wants to get us. If we allow his buffetings to sway us, we get closer to his grasp. But as we swing higher and higher, by following the obvious, we move closer to the safety of the Lord.

I printed these monkeys years ago. I laminated them and put them on popsicle sticks. It's the best prop for a preschool, nursery, primary class, family home evening, or to make a car ride more enjoyable.

And the alligator must be sized proportionately so you get the full effect of how big and scary he is. All the kids want to be the alligator so they can snap the monkeys.
Examples:

My teenager is sad and lonely. Instead of telling her to do her chores or her homework, give her a hug, stroke her hair, and offer some kind words of encouragement. The obvious is right in front of me, but I don't always follow it. Bad monkey!

Our five year old boy is having temper tantrums all of a sudden. Instead of sending him to his room or getting mad right back, follow the obvious - pick him up, rock him back and forth, talk softly, hug him, determine the cause of the tantrum and not react to the outward emotions.

Spontaneity is not my strong point. When a child wants to do a small thing right then, instead of shutting it down, go with it. Give some attention and make them feel important.

Add some creativity, liven things up a bit, add some music, show enthusiasm, give some service, help a child with their chores, sweeten the deal, enjoy the moment.

Oh, the lessons we learn from our children! And thanks to my little girl, I hope to be a smarter monkey going forward!


I love being a Mama!

More to Come...but until then, Stick-to-it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...