Monday, June 18, 2012

Stick-to-it: 20 Activity Badges!


How do you Raise a Stick-to-it Kid? 
Encourage and support them in their righteous and good desires

When my son became a Cub Scout Webelos at age 10, he wanted to earn all 20 of the Activity Badges. Not only would he earn the badges, but he would earn the "20 Patch", as well as be awarded the prized Buffalo Head. The awards are an incentive, for sure. However, I'm hoping that he did it for the learning experience and the satisfaction of making a goal and achieving it.

One year later...

He earned his Arrow of Light, the last Activity Badge, his buffalo head, and the 20 patch.


I think about all of the times he came to me asking what he could do next in his book to progress on an Activity Badge. I think of the many weeks I helped him remember to go to his den meetings (which is where the majority of the work happens). This goal was HIS idea. It was HIS desire. It was HIS project. Because I knew it meant so much to him, I encouraged him. I listened and helped, and worked, and supported. He knew that I backed him and that assisted in his gumption to keep going. 


Mom and Dad with the Scout-of-honor

With the other Award-ees - Good job Boys!!

The Finished Product!
Congratulations to you for your awesome accomplishment! What an example you are of sticking to a goal and fulfilling it! 


Side Note: See the 20 patch in the above picture? He asked me to sew it on for him. It only needed four stitches - one in each corner. I could have said, "Yes, I'll do it later." However, when would that later have been? So, I stopped what I was doing and did it then. Not only does it get done, but your child feels like they're important. No, it can't happen every time. Certainly, you don't want your child to think that their project is so vital that Mom will do it above all others. But, it does give some validation and feelings of love and importance. It can definitely be used to your advantage. They see you drop your project for theirs...they tend to be a little more helpful when you need it. Parenting - it's all about using your brains and your heart.

More to Come...but until then, Stick-to-it!

























2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...