Wednesday, September 19, 2012

2012/2013 Theme: Way to Be!

"To Be" Conjugation (Present Tense):
I am
you
are
he/she/it
is
we
are
you
are
they
are
www.conjugation.com
 

I'm so excited! My copy of this book just came in the mail today...

Way to Be!

I've been thinking a lot about the verb, "to be". I feel like I haven't focused as much with my children on "Being". I'm afraid "Doing" has been the more prominent focus....do your homework, do your chores, do your jobs, do this - do that, do, do, do. I feel like I was given some inspiration a few weeks ago to focus with my family on "Being". Yes, "Doing" is important, but so is "Being". In fact, if we concentrate on "Being", the "Doing" may naturally follow. Be Obedient, Be Obedient, Be Obedient hopefully will translate into obeying Mom and Dad, doing what's asked and taking care of assigned responsibilities.

We have had this sign on our wall for years:


These are only six of the virtues talked about in the book, Way to Be! by Gordon B. Hinckley. 
He provides thoughts on "9 ways to be happy and make something of your life."

Be Grateful
Be Smart
Be Involved
Be Clean
Be True
Be Positive
Be Humble
Be Still
Be Prayerful

We discussed it as a family last week, and we are going to base our family theme for the 2012/2013 year on this book, Way to Be! Every month we will read the chapter associated with the virtue and discuss ways we can be that way as a family and individually. We will center our Family Home Evening lessons on the monthly virtue and come up with activities to compliment and further instill the principle. 

Beginning October 1st, we'll be focusing on "Be Grateful". For the rest of September, we'll introduce our theme and plan out the year together. 

We've felt very strongly that our family needs this focus and we will be blessed as we incorporate these virtues together. At the end of each month, I'll document our efforts and share them with you. Hopefully, it will give some ideas for raising Stick-to-it Kids whom are grateful, smart, involved, clean, true, positive, humble, still, and prayerful. What a "Way to Be!"

More to Come...but until then, Stick-to-it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...