Monday, September 3, 2012

A Half Cent Bargain?

Your, You're
Their, There, They're
To, Two, Too
Improperly Used = One of my biggest pet peeves!!

Shopping at Smith & Edwards is a highlight for our family. Located over an hour away in Northern Utah, it is a most unusual store. The boys especially love perusing through the camping/survival/knives/preparedness/tools departments. I enjoy the low-cost school supplies, random gifts, and kitchen gadgets. You just have to go there to understand.www.smithandedwards.com

One highlight is the candy section. They have bins and bins of unusual finds, including the most coveted Sunkist Fruit Gem at 10 / $1.00


I have loved these since I can remember. One memory includes buying a tub of the sugary yumminess at Costco and eating them all with my cousin, Emilee, while having an Anne of Green Gables Marathon - another favorite. Now I have passed that love on to my children, which is probably not a good thing. When I brought them home, my oldest daughter (who wasn't with us) almost jumped up and down. Yes, I feel like doing that myself sometimes. But I digress...

Smith & Edwards has aisles of tables covered in bins full of fun randomness - bins of pocket knives, small spatulas, crayons, coloring books, long pointy things which I have no idea what their purpose is, little cool flashlights, toys, luggage tags. Like I said, random. 

While passing the bins, my son stops and says, "Mom, can I borrow your camera?" He took a picture of this:

Do you see anything wrong with this picture?
He proceeded to explain that the price of an item displayed with a decimal point and a cent sign means that the item is really a half cent, not 49 cents, as shown in this example. His math teacher told the class they would receive extra credit if they brought in a photo that showed this common error. 

I was so proud! I love seeing education in action, when my children apply the knowledge they've been taught. It especially brings me joy when they point out grammatical and punctuation errors 'cause that means I'm rubbing off on them, and hopefully, proper use of the English language will be important to them as well. 

We didn't buy any air fresheners. I actually expected Sam to challenge the sign and try to get them for one half cent, because if you know Sam, that's just something he would do. Instead, we purchased our Sunkist Fruit Gems!

Today's Stick-to-it Tip: Take joy in the little things your children learn and apply in the "real world" (think Cosby Show).

More to Come...but until then, Stick-to-it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...