Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Dear Children...Please Smile!!

Smile for the picture, would ya? 
Your smile (or frown) will be in that picture for the rest of your life!

Dear Children,

When taking family pictures, even quick, improv, last minute, on the spot family pictures, is it too much to ask that you smile and be cheerful, even if you don't feel like it? I am your mother...I brought you into this world. From fulfilling your every need at birth to backing off and giving you some independence, I have taken care of you for _______ years. (Fill it in with how old you are) You can count on me. I hug you when you're sad and buy you treats at the store. I listen when you want to chat and make sure you're never hungry. I pray for you EVERY DAY and drive you places. I teach you vital lessons and true principles. Sometimes you get dessert before dinner, and I encourage you to be a responsible, hard working person so you will receive opportunities and blessings. I stay up with you late to assist with a school project you've procrastinated and remind you of your commitments. I do your dishes even though it's your job, fold your laundry, and make sure your hygiene is in order. I encourage you to try, and attend every basketball game I can. I go to your concerts and performances. I taught you to read and write. I have wiped your tears and cried with you. Get the picture? 'Cause I could go on and on for a REALLY LONG TIME...

So, whenever it's time to take a family photo, will you please cooperate for just one minute? Will you humor me and stand where you're asked, look at the camera, and smile? I would really appreciate your efforts to create a nice photo for posterity's sake. I know we don't always feel cheerful, but CHOOSING to do this for me will bring joy to me and to you. When you look back at that grumpy picture, you'll shake your head and say, "What was wrong with me?" So, let's avoid that altogether and not have any more grumpy photos, OK? I know you can do this 'cause you're amazing. You are, after all, my child! :)

I will always love you ...even if you don't feel like smiling for the camera. Thanks for listening and for trying your best to comply. Remember, thinking of another before yourself brings great Joy.

J - Jesus
O - Others
Y - Yourself

Here's to all the future, fantastic, family photos we have to look forward to!

All my Love,

Mom

August, 2012
More to Come...but until then, Stick-to-it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...