Thursday, September 16, 2010

Do they REALLY know?

We're making big financial moves in our house....our oldest daughter opened up her own checking account! Note to self: my daughter is going to kill me for posting this, but my kids know I reserve this picture taking/posting right as their mother - the one who has fed them, clothed them, nurtured them, loved them! 

I took pictures of her writing her first check; I couldn't resist. However, I opted not to post the one showing the completed check due to possible identity theft.

"Mom, please....must you?"
We've had several training sessions about balancing a check book, where to write the transactions on the register, bouncing checks (not that she has - just warnings), what's a deposit?, saving receipts, "I have a cool pin number", all about interest, debit vs. credit, etc. Truthfully, it surprised me that she had so many questions about the whole process. I guess I "assumed" that she knew all the details from watching, hearing, observing, discussing over the years. First lesson - never assume. Make sure they REALLY  know, whether it be taking care of their finances, memorizing their multiplication facts or how to properly clean a bathroom or brush their teeth. (Or, how to properly aim - just dealt with that accident)

And when it comes to finances, take the time to chat with your kids. Teach and train them NOW so they'll have the knowledge and experience under your roof. Then when they're under their own roof, they'll be a little more prepared. And hopefully, they'll avoid the bounced checks and go for debit instead of credit.

If you need some assistance or want a hands-on approach, try the Stick-to-it Money Management System - www.sticktoitcharts.com

More to come...but until then, Stick-to-it!

1 comment:

  1. Julie - I can personally attest to the value of the Stick to it Money Management System. We've been using it for our three kids (oldest is not yet 5). The other day the kids were being terrible about cleaning up before we went on a date for our anniversary. We told our 5 year old that if she didn't clean we would pay the babysitters to clean up for her....out of her money! That got her moving! Not that money is the most important motivator, but when they see the value of it, they change their perspective. - Steve

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...