Friday, September 24, 2010

Kindness Begins with Me

When my children were young, my husband, Sam, came up with a way to help with quarreling, fighting, arguing, bickering and any other synonym you want to use. Instead of sending them to their rooms or putting them in time out, he had them stand up, face each other and sing this song:

Kindness Begins with Me
I want to be kind to everyone; for that is right, you see.
So I say to myself, "Remember This: Kindness Begins with Me".

Here's a link to the actual music where you can hear the tune if you're not familiar with it.
http://lds.org/churchmusic/detailmusicPlayer/index.html?searchlanguage=1&searchcollection=2&searchseqstart=145&searchsubseqstart=b&searchseqend=145&searchsubseqend=b

I'm grateful for this little tradition. It started over ten years ago and can still be heard in our house, today. Yes, my kids think it's goofy. My teenagers just roll their eyes and suffer through it. My little ones love it and are more than anxious to sing it. My pre-teens about die. There's something about music that soothes the soul and softens the heart.

No doubt they will always remember this little song and let's hope they really internalize the meaning. Who knows, maybe their children will be singing it... when that day comes.

Treasure those feeling of love and kindness in your home. Oh, if we could just bottle them up and let them go when the grumps come around.
Here's one moment I'd bottle up for future release!

More to come...but until then, Stick-to-it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...