Monday, December 10, 2012

Preparation, Candy Turkeys, Egg Nog, & Bingo

B-I-N-G-O
And Bingo was his Name-O.

Yes, I know it's Christmas time. Believe me, I'm feeling it. Maybe that's why I haven't written for two weeks? 

Thanksgiving Day was a beautiful day. I think it was the least stressful Thanksgiving morning that I've ever had! Here's to 4 things that made the day amazing...

1. Preparation

I made a list a week in advance. I wrote down everything I was in charge of making and listed out all ingredients necessary.

My assignments:
Sweet Potato Casserole
Homemade Egg Nog (Recipe, Below)
Ham
Cheesecake
Pretzel Jello
Pies (2)
Stuffing
Sparkling Cider
Candy Turkeys
Bingo Prizes
 
I went to the store on Monday of Thanksgiving week. I avoided the long lines of those last minute, crazy shoppers. 

I scheduled out my Thanksgiving-Eve and morning. 

Example:
Wednesday night
- Bake sweet potatoes
- Take out cream pie and put in the refrigerator

Thursday
8AM - Bake Crust of Pretzel Jello
8:30 AM - Bake Berry Pie
9:00 AM - Make Egg Nog
9:30 AM - Finish Pretzel Jello
10:00 AM - Assemble SP Casserole
10:30 AM - Start Candy Turkeys
11:00 AM - Put Ham in the oven
1:00 PM - Make Stuffing

Delegation...it's a beautiful thing. My daughter and her fiancee were in charge of the cheesecake which they cooked on Monday. My oldest son was over the SP Casserole. Daughter #1 and Son #3 did the egg nog. #7 and #8 helped with the pretzel jello. Daughter #3 made the candy turkeys with me. All hands on deck for the loading of the car.

2. Candy Turkeys

One Thanksgiving tradition that began with my mother is candy turkeys. Every year we made these edible creations with big gum drops, small gum drops, tooth picks, marshmallows and raisins. We placed them at each place setting for Thanksgiving dinner. However, some of my children detest gum drops so we come up with different candy turkeys to make each year. This was our creation:




3. Egg Nog
This recipe must be given credit to my sister's mother-in-law. It was introduced to our family when my sister married, and now, we can't have a Thanksgiving or Christmas without it! If you don't like egg nog, give this a try. It tastes NOTHING like the store bought stuff.


2 eggs well beaten
1 can of condensed milk
1 t. vanilla
1/4 t. salt
1 quart whole milk
1/2 pint whipping cream, whipped
nutmeg
Combine everything up to the milk with hand mixer. Gradually beat in milk. Gently fold in whipped cream. Chill. Sprinkle nutmeg on top when serving.
 
Recipe makes 1/2 gallon. This year, we made 2 gallons for our Thanksgiving feast. 

4. Bingo - A New Tradition!

My sister-in-law's family plays Bingo on Thanksgiving Day with her family. She suggested in advance that we try out their tradition and I'm glad we did. Everyone loved getting a prize when they received a Bingo.  The prizes are wrapped and labeled as G for Girl, B for Boy or ? for Anyone. You choose a prize when you get your first Bingo. If you get another Bingo, you give your prize picking option to someone who hasn't had a Bingo. Once everyone gets a prize, it's a free-for-all. The Pac-Man bandaids, silly puddy, and Cars Pen/Notepad were coveted items. The boards are cleared after 4 Bingos. Yes, the prizes were enjoyable, but I think the best part is it's an activity that everyone in the family can participate in...lots of laughs and highly interactive. This is a keeper!!






By the way, we wrapped up our "Be Smart" celebration....more on that soon, and Christmas celebrations are ensuing with our "Be Involved" theme for December. Love this time of year!!!

More to Come...but until then, Stick-to-it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...