Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Helpful, courteous, kind, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent

After writing yesterday about raising and training our boys, it got me thinking about an amazing program that is available to our boys in ALL areas of the United States, the Boy Scouts of America. I know many people have a negative attitude about the scouting program, but my sons have been heavily involved for the last eight years and I find that the benefits outweigh any negatives. 

I love Cub Scouts! I love the simple, age-appropriate activities and goals for these active and bright boys whom are eager to learn. I love seeing my sons work toward something and participate in a program that teaches: doing their best, service to God, Family and Community, following rules and guidelines, and expanding their talents and knowledge. Family relationships are strengthened through working and learning together. Friendships are deepened. Scouting gives an outlet for creativity, fun, productivity AND entertainment.


The Pinewood Derby through the years. They make their own car and race it. Yes, it's a lot of work but they LOVE it!
I LOVE Boy Scouts! I love the focus on the outdoors, survival and preparedness. I'm grateful they're learning to start a fire, follow a map and compass, cook without a microwave and setup a tent. Since I'm not an avid outdoorsman, I enjoy the fact that my kids can do all of these things when we go on family campouts! I love the focus on service and building character...A scout is trustworthy, loyal, courteous, kind, thrifty, clean, brave, reverent, etc. I love them working towards a goal and the feeling of success and accomplishment when they achieve it. The focus on citizenship, learning new things, and building boys is invaluable. The scouting program, in partnership with the family, prepares our sons for the future. 

Working on merit badges at a Boy Scout Pow-Wow
Classic! What boy wouldn't want to wear a pink wet suit at Scout Camp??
Building Strength...
...AND Friendship.
Eagle Scout Service Project - He organized 100 people in making beaded geckos, wooden cars, shape rings, stuffed footballs, and quilts to send oversees to needy countries via the Launfal Foundation.
Our First Eagle Scout!
Yes, I love Scouting. When my boys are suffering from boredom, I tell them to get out their Scout Books and get to work. Spend time on scouts during your family night or after church on a Sunday afternoon. Get involved as the parent and enjoy the time with your son!

More to Come...but until then, Stick-to-it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...