Monday, November 15, 2010

Last Laugh

Have you ever had a child that is so insistent on something that it just becomes ridiculous? No matter how many times you tell them or not matter how many people tell them, they just stick with their silly notion.
Example: A few years ago, I was making dinner - something that included red cabbage. I don't even remember what it was. My daughter insisted that it was called purple cabbage because it's purple. I kindly told her that it's actually called "red cabbage". She insisted that it was purple cabbage. "Why would it be called red cabbage? It's not red. It's purple." And on and on she went. 
Fine, call it purple cabbage. It's really not something to argue about or fret over. Like my Dad used to say, "Don't sweat the small stuff." 
But I firmly believe that Moms have certain rights and in this instance, it was to get the last laugh. I was at the grocery store and happened to have my camera with me. So, I shot this:
It's RED cabbage
I came home from the store and showed her the picture. I laughed and she fumed but I never heard a word about it again and I think I do recollect her calling it RED cabbage since then. I love it!
Funny, but a similar thing happened this morning when I took a break from this blog post to go make "the drink" and the lunches. This same daughter was complaining about having to wear a skirt to school every day (uniform policy), especially in the winter. I told her, "I do recall you saying that you wouldn't mind wearing a skirt every day when you started going to this school."  She retorted with, "Well, it wasn't cold then." The complaining ended and she went on her way.
I enjoy reminding my children about their former ideas, opinions, thoughts, and statements that render gratitude, commitment, positive attitudes and proper perspective.


More to come...but until then, Stick-to-it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...