Tuesday, July 24, 2012

But Mom will Catch Baby

Warning: Bogus Lullaby Below
 Rock-a-bye Baby, in the Tree Tops,
When the Wind Blows, the Cradle Will Rock.
When the Bough Breaks, the Cradle Will Fall.
And Down will Come Baby, Cradle and All.

Can I just say that this is the most bogus lullaby I've ever heard? Yes, just sing to your little baby that she will come tumbling down to her death when the tree bough breaks and the cradle falls. That will make her feel safe and secure! 

When our first daughter was born and the Rock-a-bye Baby song naturally came to mind, I remember rocking and singing her to sleep. I came to the last line of the song and thought, "This is just wrong!" So, I changed the lyrics for a positive outcome, not a morbid, life-threatening ending. 

Rock-a-bye Baby, in the Tree Tops,
When the Wind Blows, the Cradle Will Rock.
When the Bough Breaks, the Cradle Will Fall,
But Mom will Catch Baby, Cradle and All.

My three year old has been going through a Rock-a-bye phase lately. She wants to pretend to be a little baby and have me rock her and sing this song. So, I do and she smiles and feels loved. After singing "Rock-a-bye", I told my husband about my dislike for the ditty and my long-ago change of the lyrics. He came up with another ending:

Rock-a-bye Baby, in the Tree Tops,
When the Wind Blows, the Cradle Will Rock.
When the Bough Breaks, the Cradle Will Fall,
But Mom will Catch Baby, so she won't Fall.

Pretending to be a sleeping baby.
I want my children to feel safe and secure, peaceful and comforted. It starts with even little things, like nursery lullabies.

More to Come...but until then, Stick-to-it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...