Friday, August 24, 2012

Answers in Alaska - Part 1

Alabama, ALASKA, Arizona, Arkansas....
California, Colorado, Connecticut (Clap, Clap, Clap)

Oh, Alaska! How I miss your beautiful landscapes, cool days, quaint towns, gorgeous Fireweed, fragrant smells, fascinating wildlife, endless trees, and vivid colors!

Mendenhall Glacier - Juneau, Alaska

Bridal Veil Falls - Skagway, Alaska

The Fireweed at Totem Bight State Historical Park

Sawyer Glacier in Tracy Arm Fjord


Oh, Star Princess Cruise Ship! How I miss not having to cook, clean, or lift a finger; endless virgin pina coladas, the salty breeze, sailing through Tracy Arm Fjord, fabulous lectures and concerts, spending time with family, reading a book without interruption, chocolates on my bed every night, fabulous two-hour dinners, meeting new people, and much needed relaxation!

The Star Princess at the Port of Skagway

We LOVE Cruising

Chocolates at Bedtime!

The Star Princess - Ketchikan, Alaska
Disney Concert - with Jenny Oaks Baker

Most of the Fam - with "The Drinks"

The AWESOME Employee of the Month - Jorge
I've titled this series, Answers in Alaska. Yes, I love alliterations. But seriously, answers to questions, answers to prayer, answers to thoughts and wondering were given on our once in a lifetime cruise to Alaska. Instead of posting a Travel Log, I'll share some photos with insight, and yes, my usual Stick-to-it tips that came to me while escaping to The Last Frontier.

Answers in Alaska - Part 1

Since it is my mother's birthday, today's Answers in Alaska are dedicated to her.

#1 - Mom and Dad had a dream to go on an Alaskan Cruise since I can remember. Mom worked some extra side jobs to save the money for them to sail away into the sunset together. She made beautiful Christmas boutique gifts, worked as a typesetter while we were in school, was the membership secretary of our local swimming pool, and probably did other things that I was never aware of. When I was in high school, I had the opportunity to go to England with my hand bell choir. I remember being hesitant to ask my parents if it was a possibility for me to perform in Exeter, England at an International Hand Bell Symposium, and tour the English countryside. Mom wanted me to go. She used her Alaskan Cruise money to send me. She never complained about it. She never used it against me during my "teenage moods", nor made me feel guilty about going. This sacrifice on her part obviously delayed their plans for Alaska. 

Answer: Be grateful for the sacrifices you can offer for those you love. Your children WILL know if you do it begrudgingly. If they feel your charity, the pure love of Christ, it will not fail them...for Charity Never Faileth.

#2 - Dad passed away when I was 20, in 1994. Mom and Dad did not make it to Alaska. A year ago, she declared that she wanted to take her children and their spouses to Alaska for a celebration of family. She waited years and years to make this dream happen. 

Answer: Be patient for your dreams. Parental examples of patience will help curb the entitlement plague of the youth today. No, children are not entitled to go on a cruise. I waited 40 years. Sam waited 45 years. Mom waited for her Alaskan Cruise for 67 years. Patience promotes gratitude. With gratitude comes true joy.

Happy Birthday, Mom! Thanks for teaching me some invaluable lessons over the years. Thank you for sacrificing for me. Thank you for being an example of patience. Thank you for sharing your dream with all of us!!

Mom at Mendenhall

Lovin' it with Mom!

Mom with her Sensational Six!
More to Come...but until then, Stick-to-it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...