Monday, September 5, 2011

"Snap" up the Opportunity

"Oh who, oh who will help me snap the beans?
Oh who, oh who will it be?"

Look at that smile! Who says working can't be fun?
I took the fresh beans out of the refrigerator to prepare them for dinner. I was going to snap them myself but then thought, "That's ridiculous. There has to be somebody around who can do this for me." The first person I saw was our little lady, sitting at the bar with a snack. "Hmmmm", I thought. "I wonder if she can do this." Of course she can! I asked her if she wanted to snap beans. Of course she did! She tried to snap them by holding each end. That didn't work. I showed her how to snap it from the middle and she went to town.


She took ownership of this project, extremely happy with her ability to fulfill the job that Mom needed accomplished, learning a new skill, and having fun at the same time. She was content to snap for 20 minutes. Now I like that kind of entertainment! The key here is  opportunity. If I didn't give her the opportunity to snap the beans, she wouldn't have had this learning experience. Look for opportunities for your child to shine, learn, improve, assist, grow and develop.

Snapping beans: another terrific toddler-task!

More to Come...but until then, Stick-to-it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...