Saturday, September 3, 2011

Show Me: A Mean Mom Moment

Sing me no song, read me no rhyme
Don't waste my time, show me
Please don't implore, beg on the seats
Don't make all the speech, show me...
...Please don't explain, show me, show me
Michael Ball - "Show Me"

I witnessed a "Mean Mom Moment" a few weeks ago. Well, I didn't really witness it; I heard about it. I felt like doing the old Piedmont High cheer - Be Impressive, B-E Impressive. B-E-I-M-P-R-E-S-S-I-V-E! Truly, I was impressed by how she handled the situation!
Her son wanted to go see the new Harry Potter movie for his birthday. They agreed to take him when the time came. Being how many almost-eleven-year-old boys can be, he was giving her fits that week...teasing, arguing, complaining, and disobedient. This is how she responded to the behavior:

"Your behavior tells me you don't want to go see the movie. You need to show me that you want to see the movie. Until then, we're not going."

She then proceeded to tell him that he needed to spend the next week "showing" that he wants to go see Harry Potter...be appreciative, respectful, kind, helpful, and obedient. 

Show Me!
I LOVE that!! Seeing the movie is a privilege, not a right. Until you show me with proper behavior that you want that privilege, it's out the window. Actions determine consequences, positive or negative.

Thanks for "showing me" a new perspective on behaviors and privileges! I eat up those Mean Mom Moments!

More to Come...but until then, Stick-to-it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...