Thursday, October 28, 2010

Stick-to-it Chart Philosophy: A tool, just like your fingernail clippers

Tool: anything used as a means of accomplishing a task or purpose (www.dictionary.com) 
I believe in tools. I believe in using my Bosch to mix my pumpkin cake batter (even though I don't want to make any more pumpkin cake for a long time!!) I'm not always grateful, but I should be, for my alarm clock which acts as a tool to wake me up on time. I use my cell phone as a tool of communication. My washing machine and dryer are tools for acquiring clean clothes. (I won't mention that we probably have too many clothes because we have them) The finger nail clippers are a tool to help me cut my family's nails. (Reminder to cut my children's nails!!) My computer is the ultimate tool for accomplishing everything under the sun (at least it seems that way).

What good are these tools if we don't pick them up and use them? They are not tools unless we utilize them to be so. The clothes are not going to be clean if we don't put the clothes in, add the detergent and start the machine. The camera is not going to take pictures if one does not turn it on and push the button. The children's hair will not be cut if the scissors or clippers just sit on the counter.

The purpose of this post? The Stick-to-it Chart Philosophy...
Charts are a tool...a means of accomplishing a task or purpose. Need some extra motivation to help your children accomplish their school work? A chart is a great way to help with that. However, it's a tool. If you don't use the tool, it's not going to help accomplish the task. If you just give the chart to your child and expect it to be the hands-off solution for Mom but the ultimate solution for Charlie, you've missed the opportunity and it WILL NOT WORK. That can be likened to giving the fingernail clippers to your two year old and expecting them to be neatly trimmed when Mom inspects at the end of the day. (Wow, wouldn't that be nice??) 

I've heard many mothers say that charts do not work for them. They don't work if you're not involved. They don't work if you don't pick them up and use them, just as you would any other tool in your home. They don't work if you don't remind your child to use it or don't encourage them to
accomplish the desired goal. Yes, all children are different. Not every child will be encouraged and motivated by a chart. However, if the parent is not involved then there is no chance for it to be successful.

If you've been turned off by using charts in your home, give it a try. However, think of it as a tool for accomplishing your task or purpose with parental involvement. Great things really will come to pass when these tools are utilized with the proper perspective.

Look for a new chart product, coming out for November...This one, if implemented with parental perspective, will truly transform your home!!

More to Come...but until then, Stick-to-it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...