Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A Worthwhile Story

"Mommy, will you tell me a story?"...how many times have you heard that one? Years ago, I got tired of telling the same old Three Little Pigs or Three Bears. Plus, what redeeming value do those stories have anyway? I started telling my children stories from my past, stories about their Dad, stories about Grandma and Grandpa, stories about ancestors past. Those are the stories they always ask to hear. Never do I hear a request for pigs or bears. One of their favorites - The Cat Lady (warning to my family....it's been embellished a bit, but basically, it's fairly accurate...do you remember this?)

The Cat Lady 

A long time ago when I was young, Great Grandpa would come to work in our yard because Grandpa was in a wheelchair and couldn't do yard work. One day, while he was working in the yard, he made his way down to the fence at the end of our yard. On the other side of the fence was the cemetery (said in kind of a creepy voice). Great Grandpa found several cans of cat food on our side of the fence. "Strange", he thought. So he picked it up, put it in a bag and took it home to his neighbor who had a cat.
Several weeks later, he was working in the yard again. Just like last time, he found several cans of cat food in the yard. "This is really strange", he thought. So he picked it up, put it in a bag and took it home to his neighbor who had a cat.
The next time Great Grandpa was over, he was in the yard by the house. He looked down toward the fence and there was a very old lady in the cemetery, throwing cat food over the fence. He yelled down to her and said, "Hey, what are you doing?" She quickly ran away. Again, there was more cat food. So he picked it up, put it in a bag and took it home to his neighbor who had a cat. That was the last time we found cat food in the yard.
Several weeks later, I was at the grocery store with my mother and some of my siblings. While we were waiting in line, I glanced over to the line next to us. There was an old lady in that line with a cart full of nothing but cans of cat food. It was the cat lady! (Said in kind of a creepy voice)

Was it really the cat lady? I don't know...but it makes for a good story. Yes, it's quite a random tale, but it really happened! Think about things that have occurred in your life or the lives of your family members. Make it into a story and watch it come to life in the eyes of your children. Not only does it entertain them and prepare them for bedtime, but it passes on family stories to your children and then to their children. Ancestors become real people and are remembered and loved.

Great Grandpa, telling stories to his grandchildren. Too precious!

I love you, Grandpa. How I wish you were here to enjoy all of these fabulous great- grandchildren!
More to Come...but until then, Stick-to-it!

2 comments:

  1. I love it. You tell stories so well. I can never tell it as well as you do so I'm soooo glad to now have it written down. Thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never heard the cat lady story until now. If you want to add something to the story you can tell the kids that Uncle Stephen found a dead cat under the shed by the cemetary. Maybe it was the cat lady's victim, or an apprentice doing her bidding that got trapped under the shed and died. Either way, I was fascinated by it decomposing over the course of a few months.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...