Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Reasoning with a 2 year old

I hate giving whole apples to my children. They eat two bites and say they're finished. Result: a wasted apple, most likely found under the couch or in a clean hamper of laundry. Lovely! So, my baby wanted an apple, but she didn't want me to cut up the apple...she wanted the entire apple. Well, how many two year olds do you know that will eat an entire apple? I don't know any..I've never had one. So, we cut up our apples. 
Here's how the conversation went:

Baby: "Apple?"
Mom: "You want an apple?"
Baby: "Yes"
Mom: "OK - I'll cut one up for you"
Baby: "No cut, apple"

Mom proceeds to cut up the apple into quarters. Baby balks. Mom tries to hand a piece to her.

Mom: "Do you want this piece?"
Baby: "NO!!!!"
Mom: "OK, I'll give it to brother. Do you want this piece?"
Baby: "NO!!!!"
Mom: "OK, I'll give it to brother."

Baby sees that there are only two pieces left. There go the gears churning..."Mom has already given away two pieces. There are only two pieces left...I really want some apple. I better take some because Mom isn't going to give in."

Mom: "Do you want this piece?" (#3 out of 4)
Baby: "Uh-huh" (She takes the apple)

I love being able to reason with a two year old in language they understand! Next time, she probably won't complain when I cut up the apple. Let's hope that consistency wins out. But then again, those terrific two year olds have a mind of their own!!

More to Come...but until then, Stick-to-it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...