Friday, August 19, 2011

Creativity & Time = Money in your Pocket

Prom Day for Boys:
Dry Clean the Suit, Pick up the Corsage, Clean the Car, Shower, 
Do the Hair, Pick up the Girl, Arrange and Pay? for Dinner...
....MOM!!!!!!

OK, so it didn't quite happen like that. When I heard that my son and his friends were thinking of taking their dates to Olive Garden for dinner, I sat him down and had him calculate how much it would cost per couple. With the meals, drinks, dessert and tip, $50 per couple. Ouch! Not to mention the corsage ($20 - another ouch) and the cost of the dance tickets. These young boys don't have the money to spend so much on one evening. (This assumes they already have a suit or tux to wear)
I gave him an option: "I'll make you a four-course Italian dinner for $10 per couple." He checked with his friends...they jumped at the chance.
Italian sausage soup, caesar salad, manicotti, crostini bread with spinach & artichoke dip, sparkling cider and creme brule with Andes mints. My mouth is watering just thinking about the deliciousness! Just to be clear, the dinner cost me more than $10 per couple, but not too much more. However, it was my contribution to the event AND I got a bonus: the chance to supervise the prom dinner. It was worth it!
The Boys...Aren't they handsome?
The Table...not too Shabby
The Servers
The Couple
And Another

And Another
The Pose
The Kiss...by Little Sis
The Farewell...Good Boy!
The prom dinner at home...it was quiet (well, except for little siblings everywhere), it was personal, it was catered to their situation, it was elegant, it was DELICIOUS (if I do say so myself) AND it was economical. That is the main lesson I want my son to learn. Creativity and time (and a fabulous Mom) equals money in your pocket!
Here's to a lesson hopefully learned as well as a Happy 17th Birthday to an equally fabulous son. Happy Birthday, sweetie! What a joy you are to the entire family! Loves and Kisses to you...
Cousin and Sister - Oakland, CA

More to Come...but until then, Stick-to-it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...