Monday, August 1, 2011

See what they can do!

Little ones can do great things, and it's so rewarding as a mother to see them do it.
My almost 3 year old wanted to play on the iPad. I asked her if she had her work finished. (You can't say done. "A cake is done. People are finished." - something I remember from my women's-libber English teacher in high school) She looked at me with glazed eyes as if saying..."Work? What work?" Time to get this little girl moving! I asked her to go make her bed. She fussed. "You need to go make your bed and then you can play on the iPad." She disappeared. I didn't know if she'd really do it or not, but she came back a few minutes later, declaring that her bed was made. 
Pretty good for a little one! I was so excited for her. However, the next day was even better. She didn't even ask me to play on the iPad...she made her bed first. I tiptoed in to get a picture but she caught me.
One other thought...
So, your child wants a privilege? Use it to get something out of them! Oh, you want to go to the pool? Are your chores completed?... You want dessert? Did you do your kitchen job? ...Want a story tonight? Get all ready for bed in five minutes!... You want to go shopping? Is that paper written yet?... You want to watch Diego? Better tidy your room.
Set some expectations, limits and boundaries and see what your little people will do. They'll surprise you!
More to Come...but until then, Stick-to-it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...