Saturday, August 6, 2011

Leave the "Baby" at Home (Sorry, Sweetie!)

The hike was steep; the day was hot. The big kids were full of energy; I was not. 
The "baby" was crying, tired of walking. I wanted to cry, tired of carrying.
I had to go on...couldn't stop now. The end was in sight but how, oh, how
Will I make it up this hill with a babe on my back?; 
I thought she would walk and left home the day-pack.
Big kids stayed home so why oh why, did I not leave her home for her to cry?

baby in the sun
"It too sunny" (No, I didn't make a typo)
Purpose of this post: To remind myself that it's 
OK to leave people home if the situation is 
not conducive to the child.
It was supposed to be a nice little hike with my sisters and their children. Half way up baby petered out and had to be carried. I thought she would walk (she's nearly three - far from a baby) and thought to myself before we left home, "Oh, she'll love being outside by the water and with her cousins." No, no. She was miserable and I was miserable. I had options before we left; I just didn't think about it. Dad and two of my teens were home. Why didn't I leave her with them? "Oh, she'll cry when we leave", I thought. "She'll have so much fun", I declared. Well, no matter the reason, I've learned a lesson! 
Even if you don't make the best choice, make the best of the situation! We still had fun and that is what counts!


They're all excited to begin!
Climbing rocky hills...what could be more fun?
Sliding down rocky hills could be more fun!
Always has to pose
Our Destination: Battle Creek Falls
She's happy now: We made it to the top and there's food to eat!
More than happy to pose on the way DOWN.
Back to the Trail Head. We made it!

































Experiences for children are fabulous. However, sometimes a fabulous experience for Mom is a nice thing, too! Trust me, I'll remember that mantra for next time!

More to Come...but until then, Stick-to-it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...