Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Practice Brings Improvement: A Reverence Reminder

4-year old boys and reverence are not a natural combination. I feel like I've tried EVERYTHING to encourage a reverent attitude during prayer time and family scripture reading. His mind is too busy thinking of the next high jump over the coffee table and onto the couch. His body is too busy obeying the messages that his active mind sends it. He really is a delightful boy, full of hugs and kisses, imagination, play, and sweet smiles. Could we just sit still when our family is trying to be serious? 
A thought came to mind a few days ago as the frustration started to build during family prayer. 
If he's not reverent during the prayer, 
have him practice reverence after the prayer.
OK...so I tried it. I sat him down on the couch and explained that during the prayer, it is time to be reverent. After the prayer, it is time to play. There is a time to be reverent and a time to play. Because he was not reverent at the proper time, he needs to practice being reverent during play time. I asked him to practice being reverent for two minutes, sitting on the couch with his arms folded, quiet and still. This about killed him. The rest of the house was busy and active and he wanted to be, too. I persisted. "The longer you fuss, the longer you'll sit still", I told him. 
Three or four minutes later, after some fabulous quiet-practice, we talked about the proper behavior during prayer time. "If you can't be reverent during prayer, you'll need to practice being reverent after prayer." 
The last few days have been dramatically different. Before our family prayer, I remind him about reverence time and I can see in his eyes that he remembers the reverence practice. I'm sure we'll have some more "practice times" in our future. But that's OK. Don't they say, "Practice makes Perfect"? However, I like to focus on, "Practice Brings Improvement". Consistency is key!
Yes, it would be great if he would be reverent because he loves Jesus and wants to to show that love. That lesson can sink in over time as his mind and body are quiet enough to feel it.
More to Come...but until then Stick-to-it!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds great. My three year old girl and four year old boy need that practice. Thanks. Dd

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...