Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Sabbath Thoughts: You and We NOT I and Me

I want that one. No, I want that one.
I had that first. No, I had that first.

Sound familiar? Listening to my children fight over Playmobile pieces on Sunday morning gave me the desire to talk to them about You and We verses I and Me. "I" can be such a selfish word, one that sends focus internally rather than externally. "Me" is a similar thing. Reminds me of that Country Song, "I Wanna Talk about Me.... Me, me, me, me, me, me, me." "You" on the other hand, turns the focus towards others, encouraging service and concern for someone else. "We" is plural and denotes cooperation, working together, synergy, and getting along. 
So, back to the Playmobil playing. He wanted a certain piece. She wanted it too. Can't we focus on You and We? I encouraged them to think of the other (You) rather than yourself (I). Isn't it more fun to play together (We) rather than feel selfish by yourself (Me)? It helped! They compromised and worked things out. 
One might say to allow children to work out their problems themselves. However, the scriptures tell us that parents should not suffer their children to fight and quarrel with one another.
I had another thought about You and We verses I and Me. When we have struggles in life, confrontations or quarrelings with another, Satan encourages us to focus on I and Me; the world teaches to look out for number one. However, Jesus Christ is our partner (we). He was the perfect example of service (you) and through His atonement, WE can overcome faults, sadness, fear, loss, temptation, and sorrow.
Let's pick our pronouns carefully...You and We, not I and Me.


More to Come...but until then, Stick-to-it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...