Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Turn "What can I do?" into Summertime Service

Summer is NOT my favorite time of the year. Yes, I enjoy being with my children and having some fun family time. However, I do not like the "run wild and free" mentality that summer time tends to bring. I don't like unstructured days or unproductive children; staying up late and sleeping in until Noon. I certainly don't appreciate the expense that it brings...children thinking they need a snow cone every day or to be entertained with an elaborate and expensive activity all 90 days of summer. My schedule cannot handle it, nor can my pocketbook.

We have combated the stressful summer stigma by implementing a summer schedule for each child. They all have a list of activities/studies that need to take place before they are able to move on to summer enjoyment. This keeps their minds active, their hands busy, their body moving and Mom sane.
Examples include: handwriting practice, math facts, phonogram review, reading, exercise, chores, scouts (merit badges for my Boy Scout and activity badges for my Webelos), studying the driver's handbook, church studies, journal writing, piano practice, yard work, scholarship applications, thank you notes, babysitting, extra school classes, jobs, home maintenance, service, preparing for college, etc.

Obviously, not every child has the same items on his or her list. However, we use the summer to take care of things that are difficult to accomplish during the school year, to stay up-to-date with their studies, to learn new things and make progress on home and individual projects.
One activity I re-introduced to my children this summer is a service project for a humanitarian group called The Launfal Foundation. They send container loads of supplies to countries in Africa and Asia. A few years ago, my son's Eagle Project benefited this group with a humanitarian service day. One project included The Beaded Gecko.
2008: Over 100 Geckos were made (center box)
The Launfal Foundation sends loads of these to third world countries as toys for the children or for them to sell on the street. The supplies are very cheap and the children have enjoyed making these. If I ever hear the "I'm Bored" phrase, I tell them to get out the gecko supplies and go to work.

Each gecko takes about 10 minutes to complete. This guy is having fun creating competitions where the family votes to discover the "King Gecko".

Some of the geckos we've made this summer...

No, she's too young to do it on her own, however, she loves to string the beads!

The Finished Product
It feels good to use some free time to help another. Consider turning the "What can I do?" into summertime service!

More to Come...but until then, Stick-to-it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...